Firelord: Destinies Embrace
A new fan fiction starring Firelord

Written by Adam Funk (Norrin2112)
Logo by James Pedrick (Marvelite)
Image by J.S. Johnston (Lord Thanos)


firelord.jpg (49192 bytes)Chapter1

Watching the sun going down from this distance isn’t as spectacular as it is from Earth. Of course the difference of a couple million miles to out here on Saturn’s moon of Titan is to blame. It’s hard to still be in awe of these astral events after the course my life has taken. I remember as a small child my father showing me the stars and constellations of the universe. Going to the observatory and seeing these giant balls of flame up close didn’t help me sleep well at night. I would lay in bed for hours just staring out my window up at the stars. Since before I can remember I’ve wanted to explore the galaxy, to see these incredible events unfold before me. I joined Xandars Star Brigade, a special section of the Nova Corps, at the earliest age possible, my father wasn’t happy to see me off but he understood my passion. I rose to the rank of First Mate faster than anyone else in the history of the Star Brigade. My Captain, Gabriel Lann and I quickly became the best of friends. He was one of the greatest men I’ve ever known, I’d have followed him anywhere. We had one of the finest vessels in the fleet, and one of the best crews as well.

 

All of that changed the fateful day we happened upon a vessel that dwarfed even mighty Xandar. Captained by a being beyond description, known only as Galactus. We have of course heard of him. Who hasn’t? The ravager of worlds is known throughout the cosmos. Gabriel ordered sensors to full scan, hoping we could learn what he wanted. The sensors suddenly went blank and my Captain and friend disappeared from the bridge. The entire ship was plunged into chaos, we didn’t know what was happening. Where did Gabriel go? What did Galactus want with an Xandarian ship? I immediately ordered weapons on line, shields up and red alert. Called the communications officer to hail Galactus and get some answers. Before we could engage, Galactus left. No warning, no answers, just left. We were beneath his notice, unworthy of an answer. At that moment I declared that I would never rest until I learned what Galactus wanted with Gabriel and what had happened to him.

 

We searched for months, neglecting duty and ignoring all call from Xandar. Finally the crew became restless and demanded we return to Xandar, there was no way we were going to find him. After our return to Xandar I was severely reprimanded for my actions concerning the situation with Galactus and Gabriel. I was broken in rank and grounded. My superiors said they admired my courage and dedication, but to go rogue and ignore the chain of command was beyond the limits of the Brigades patience. For the time being I was to stay out of space until I got my priorities straight. They thought they could stop my quest, quench the fires of my passion. They were wrong. I was able to steal a long range shuttle and continue the search. The whole Brigade was ordered after me, but in truth it was a half hearted search. Most vessels I came in contact with gave me fresh supplies and gave me information about Galactus sightings. I found out most of the fleet considered me a hero, and was exactly what every Centurion in the Brigade should be.

 

After months of searching alone, finding dead world after dead world, my quest finally bore fruit. There it was, in all it’s splendor, Galactus ship. He had just finished feeding on a hapless world and was beginning to leave. I hastily docked my ship in the enormous bay and began my search for Galactus himself. I wasn’t very far when I felt the atoms of my body being ripped apart. I started screaming "Galactus, Galactus you coward, face me, damn you, face me!!!" The next thing I knew I was standing in what must have been the control room of the ship. There stood Galactus. I heard stories about him, but nothing could have prepared me for the sight that is Galactus. "How dare you invade my sanctuary mortal", he spoke. "I come seeking someone you stole from my ship", deciding boldness would carry his favor, "I have come for Gabriel Lann". He looked at me for a time, what thoughts, if any were totally unknown to me, how could someone even hazard a guess what such a being contemplates. "I will give you the answers you seek, Pyreus Kril, but for a price. In exchange for the information regarding your former friend, you will agree to serve me for a time".

 

 

Chapter II

What could I say, after this long to be so close. "Whatever it takes to learn of Gabriels fate." "So be it" he exclaimed, and a ray of light struck me down from his eyes. "To truly learn his fate you must become like he was, transformed into a being like no other this universe has ever seen, you must become a child of Galactus". It’s impossible to explain what the transforming process was like, life and death, light and darkness, pain and bliss all rolled into a single moment, over and over. "Pyreus Kril is dead," he went on, "in his place stands power personified, a living embodiment of the Power Cosmic. Arise and understand my herald, my Firelord".

 

To try and explain what the transformation did to me would be useless, no mere feeble words can contain the true measure of what I was to what I had become. "Now, my herald, what is it you desire?" "I want the truth of Gabriels fate". "Gabriel served me well, and without question. He was an exemplary herald. Like you are now Firelord, so did he become the Airwalker, second herald of Galactus. Not long ago Airwalker fell in battle with the Ovoids, a race of beings with wondrous powers, and more than a match for him." After I found his lifeless husk, I reanimated his mind in a robotic body. He then fell in battle with the Earth deity Thor. With that he dispatched me to my duties, to find worlds suitable for him to consume to quench the great hunger. Unknown to me, my memories began to fade until I remembered nothing of my past life, a so called gift of Galactus.

 

For years I served him, trying to find uninhabited worlds for him to feed. Sometimes I wasn’t so lucky though. Every face, every scream is imbedded into my mind for all eternity. My memories slowly began to surface, and exploded into my mind, I remembered everything. Finally I could take no more, I pleaded with Galactus to release me from our agreement. He agreed on one condition, to find him a new herald. I had been to Earth before and knew of beings of great power and honor, if I was to find a suitable replacement, Earth would be the place. One of the heroes I met there, a god named Thor helped me to find a replacement, a unliving husk of a being called the Destroyer.

 

 

Chapter III

Finally I was free, to go about my path as I see fit. Nothing of real value has happened since then, I seem to go from conflict to conflict, planet to planet with no reprise. Some of my time was spent chasing down Nebula, the self imposed granddaughter of Thanos of Titan. She was responsible for the destruction of Xandar, and for quite some time finding her became my only passion. She was finally brought to justice after the Infinity Gauntlet affair. Thanos somehow got a hold of the six Infinity Gems and became the be all end all of this universe. He was eventually taken down but not before Nebula got the Gauntlet. The sensory input overloaded her fragile mind and drove her to the brink of insanity. She was held on Titan, until one of her crew, Geatar, was able to free her.

I didn’t know about this because I was involved in my own struggle with the Surfer against Morg, the newest herald of Galactus. A creature of awesome power and unbelievable savagery. Somehow he was able to add mystic power to the already large amount of cosmic power Galactus bestowed upon him. It took all of us ex-heralds to stop him, Surfer, Nova(quite possibly the most beautiful woman I have ever seen), Terrax, and we even reanimated the Airwalker construct who I buried on a asteroid near where Xandar used to be. Even all our combined might wouldn’t have defeated Morg without the Surfer convincing Galactus to remove the Power Cosmic from him. Terrax delivered the killing blow, so we thought, but not without a price. Nova, the most innocent among us gave her life in the battle. Galactus pretended not to care, but all of us could tell that he was upset. I guess you have to understand Galactus to know how he reacts to things, you have to serve him to truly understand him. If Galactus was capable of loving Nova he did, but whose to say what Galactus is capable of. Airwalker and I assumed the roles of herald in Morgs stead so that I could use Galactus’ incredible technology to help repair Gabriel.

 

Of course, that wasn’t the last we would see of Morg. Galactus took the body and placed him in a rejuvenating chamber. The mystic power Morg had acquired had kept a spark of life left in him. Galactus knew that and so allowed him to be "killed". Galactus hid Morg from us until he was fully restored. Unknown to myself and Airwalker, once Morg was fully restored he went off to confront Terrax for his ax, which Terrax claimed as a victory trophy with the win. Morg, regained his ax, then came back to battle us for the role as herald. He made short work of us, but the Surfer showed up and was able to hold off Morg long enough to strike another bargain with Galactus. We would not dispute Morg as herald if Galactus would allow us to save Airwalker, who had been severely damaged during the battle. Galactus agreed, and we downloaded Gabriels mind into World Ship. Gabriel would be able to lead the ship to uninhabited systems, balancing out Morgs blatant disregard for life. I was sad to say goodbye so soon after we finally were reunited, but I was also happy he was alive, and I could come and visit, if Galactus was in a good mood.

 

That brings me to where I am now, sitting on Titans outer crust, watching the sun set. What would the people of Earth think of a race of Eternals living inside the moon of Saturn? Even though they were originally human, I don’t think it would go over very well. My friend Eros, the Avenger known as Starfox has been a good confidant, but I require the advice of someone who knows what I need, I require the Silver Surfer. I know he’s been on Earth lately, since he found out that Zenn-La was an illusion he has adopted Earth as his home. He’s been busy with the woman Alicia Masters, I hope he can spare some time so that we can talk. I fly off, free of Titan and all it’s wonders and burdens. It feels good to have a purpose again, even a little one like finding the Surfer. For some reason I’ve had this restless feeling lately, maybe the Surfer can help me with finding a long term goal. I’m never totally sure what a meeting with the Surfer will bring, we have never been fast friends, but there is a unspoken respect between us, as with all the past heralds of Galactus.

I decide to call the Surfer from Earth’s moon, the Earthlings with their xenophobic views are an unwelcome burden at this time. You’d think with all the super beings on the planet a visitor from space wouldn’t be a shock. The last time I was here I was attacked by one of their super humans, a man that goes by the name of Spiderman. When I realized he was just trying to protect the normal humans on this planet because their narrow views saw me as a threat, I let the fool believe he bested me in battle. How pathetic that he actually thought I could be beaten into submission by his primitive tactics and paltry strength. Some super human he turned out to be. I have half a mind to go down, grab him, and take him to a unpopulated region of this sphere and show him what true power is. Alas, that is the old me. The person I was, always going from conflict to conflict, fight to fight. Sometimes I miss the old me, the grandstander, always ready for a challenge, for a fight. People change though, and even I am not above that.

I send out the call to the Surfer, a message only he could hear. Now I have to wait, something that I still have very little patience for. Maybe I should go down there and teach that twerp a lesson. No no, that could only bring hardships down upon me. When the other super beings found out I pounded on one of their own, I could never show my face here again. Actually, very few of them could provide any kind of challenge to me. Just goes to show how relative power is. What they think of as power I think is a joke. My comrade Thor is one of the few that would give me a good fight, and is probably the only one that could beat me. Oh well, these are thoughts for another time, I sense the Surfer approaching. It’s hard to mistake his energy signature, there are few that are that powerful, and unique.

"Greetings friend Pyreus. What brings you to this part of the universe?" "You", I say bluntly. "I was on Titan with Eros and started to feel stir crazy. Without a purpose to my life, I now feel empty, like something’s missing. I was hoping you could help me out." "Ah, purpose. The driving need we all have to feel useful. I can understand your dilemma well. I too have had the gnawing feeling that there must be more than this. I’m not sure how much help I can be, each must find his own road to follow". "Yes, I understand that. I was hoping you could share some of your motivations." The Surfer looked at me in a way I’ve never seen before, it was almost a cross of astonishment and happiness. Like he finally found a kindred soul in the last place he thought to look.

"Well, as you could probably assume, atonement is a primary force behind what I do. The heinous crimes against the sentient beings of this universe weighs heavily on my soul. Of course there are others, the need to see justice done, common decency, and of course, because for some reason the malcontents of this reality seem to think that to take me out would be a great boost to their career." "Well Surfer, you must admit that you are one of the most powerful beings in this universe. To take you out would pretty much make them seem unstoppable." "Yes, unfortunately I know of my reputation as the "big gun" of the galaxy". "It is a well deserved rep you know." The Surfer looked slightly disgusted at that remark, he obviously doesn’t think as highly of himself. "I would prefer to stay away from this discussion if you don’t mind, Pyreus. It makes me uneasy." "No problem Surf" I say. "If I may be so bold" the Surfer starts, "I’ve been meaning to check up on World Ship. It wasn’t destroyed and the technology there would be fatal in the wrong hands. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind making sure it isn’t being violated." "That is an excellent suggestion!" I exclaim. "What better place to start than at the beginning of my life as Firelord."

 

 

Chapter IV

With that we say our farewells and I’m on my way. Finally something to do, I am happy to be moving again. Sure it’s a small goal, but it’s one sure to lead to bigger and better things. Maybe I’ll be able to find a way to reactivate Gabriel. He was a part of the ship and if it survived then he probably did too. Galactus told me once he named it Taa II after his home world in his original universe. I speed through space at a rate that defies description and find myself anxious to get to World Ship. I make it across the galaxy in record time.

 

As I enter the sector World Ship is in I notice something, laser fire. Someone is attacking World Ship, and more important, someone inside is fighting back. I recognize the attackers, pirates. This faction call them selves the Mighty Marauders, can you believe it!! How these bone heads come up with these just plain silly names is beyond me. Unfortunately, they are also a group to be reckoned with. There are thousands of them and they have a hollowed out, mobile moon as their base. A lot of their technology is state of the art, even by Kree standards. Even with these advantages they are still like a swarm of bees trying to attack an elephant. World Ship is roughly the size of a small solar system, whole planets orbit it. Still, it seems like they are making headway.

As I get closer I notice there is someone outside fighting them. As soon as I recognize him I stop dead in my tracks. It’s impossible, it has to be. I saw his body destroyed with my own eyes. I float there, slack jawed and unbelieving until the being sees me and calls out. "Well, it’s about time you got here, my friend. I could certainly use your help." Airwalker, Gabriel lives!!! Suddenly it registers that he is under attack from all sides. I dive in and start taking care of the pests. After barley a minute we have destroyed hundreds of their ships and go on the offensive. With that they retreat through a star gate and are gone in seconds. "Nice of you to finally show up Pyreus, I was getting lonely." The figure that looks like my friend says. "How are you alive?" I bluntly ask. "I saw your body destroyed and your mind infused into World Ship. You can’t be you. Who are you?" "Come inside my friend. We have much to discuss."

 

I slowly follow him inside, my mind full of questions. I notice some sections of the ship are battered and wrecked. "What happened to World Ship?", I ask. "Part of the damage was from the final battle between Galactus and Tyrant. I haven’t gotten around to repairing it yet. The rest has come from pirates and the like who have learned of Galactus’s fate." "Yes, the Surfer told me of what happened. So are you going to tell me how you are moving and breathing?" We then reach the main control room and I notice something, Gabriel’s face on the main screen. "Ok, what the hell is going on here!!" I exclaim. "Who are you and why are you using the body of my friend? And why are you allowing this?" I ask the face on the screen. "Relax Pyreus" they say together. "We are the same Gabriel you know. Let me explain." The body then smiles and leaves the room, saying something about continuing the repairs of the ship.

"Now, let me tell you of what happened here. Once Morg tried to destroy my mind in order to gain information about the Ultimate Nullifier. After this happened I integrated my mind into every aspect of World Ship, so that threat wouldn’t work again. After the battle which took them all, I set up the rejuvenation chamber, remember the one that Galactus used to bring Morg back, to create a duplicate of my body to better defend the ship against the attackers that I knew would come. I gave the body my mind as well so we are, in a demented kind of way, twins." My mind was reeling from the explanation. "So my dead friend is now two separate beings with one mind?" "Not exactly, the mind of the body and of the ship are now separate. He can download his new experiences into me and I to him." "So there are two separate Gabriels, one is the Airwalker and one is Taa II?" "Exactly" he exclaims.

Finally I realize what’s happened here, my friend is back. What else is important? I look at the face on the screen and smile, wider and brighter than I have since those early days on Xandar, looking up at the stars. The face, no, my friend smiles back, sensing that I now completely understand. "I’m glad you’re here Pyreus. You, and the Surfer and Terrax will be needed soon." "For what reason?" "To bring back the master. To return Galactus to this reality."

 

 

 

Chapter V

"What?!?! Why in the name of all that’s holy would you want to?? If he’s content to stay in that dimension and feed eternally off that fool Hyperstorm why not let him?" "Because you know as well as I do that Galactus is a very important part of this universe. He has been gone too long. Can’t you feel the universe beginning to collapse on itself?" He’s right, of course. I’ve had this feeling of dread and darkness for a while. That is what precluded my departure from Titan. I felt as if I needed to do something about it. I assumed it was just wander-lust, I was wrong. It was as if the whole universe was crying out to me for help. That was the reason for my depression, my cosmic awareness. "Why didn’t the Surfer tell me what was going on?" I ask to no one in particular. "His awareness is much better than mine." "I have already been in contact with the Surfer, he will be ready when he is needed. That is why he told you to come here. He wanted you to be surprised by my being alive and well, that’s why he didn’t tell you." I smile yet again, somehow the Surfer never fails to surprise me. All this time I figured he didn’t really like me very much, we are not very alike in any stretch of the imagination.

I look up at Gabriel, "What is it you need me to do?", I ask. "Terrax will not respond to my summons, I need you to bring him here. We are going to need all the raw power we can find, we cannot do it without him." "Just tell me where to find him and consider him here, even Terrax has no will to see the universe destroyed." "He is on the fourth planet in the Adams system. Apparently he found a semi-primitive culture there that likes the idea of his ruling them. He is molding them in his image and wants nothing to do with the rest of us. I guess he thinks we are going to try to free the residents of Adams IV." "Don’t worry" I say , "if the universe collapses around him there will be no kingdom for him, he’ll listen to reason." "I hope so" Gabriel answers, "for the sake of reality Terrax must be here soon." With that we say our farewells and I am on my way. I hope Terrax is in a good mood, if he wants to put up a fight we may very well be doomed.

 

I’m off in search of Terrax, something I’m not exactly looking forward to. The Adams system isn’t really far from World Ship, only a couple thousand Light Years. I make it there in seemingly no time, ready for the hand that fate has dealt me. As I enter the planets atmosphere Terrax rises to "greet" me. "Welcome to Tyros brother, how can we help you?", he says with a sneer and enough sarcasm to choke a Hunterian Sea Whale. "I think you know why I’m here Terrax. We are an important part of Airwalkers plan to return Galactus to this reality. You are needed to save the universe." He stared at me for a while, then seemed to smile. "With you, Surfer, and Airwalker, what possible need will I fill?" "You know as well as I do the we need all the raw power we can get our hands on. Without you the plan is destined to fail and the universe will die. If you truly value this planet and your worshippers, you will lend a hand to our cause." "You presume to come to my planet and threaten me and my people!!" He bellows. "You will now know what it means to threaten the King of Tyros!!!"

With that he attacks with a swing of his ax, there is enough force behind it to level a mountain. Of course, it’s barely enough to knock me back more than a couple feet. "Please Terrax, we really don’t have time for this. The time is getting near that we will be needed." With that he takes another swing, but this time I was ready for him. I was able to absorb the blast with my staff and redirect it back at him. He just swerved out of the way and the next thing I know I am assaulted by a boulder in the back, just one of his talents with the Power Cosmic is his ability to control earth. I shake it off then notice boulders coming at me from all sides. I send out a small nova burst to take care of the rock coming at me, and respond with a blast of fire which Terrax avoids and sends his own blast at me knocking me back. This is getting me nowhere. The fight will take way too long, we are too evenly matched. I’m going to have to try something different. "Terrax, will you listen to reason before it’s too late. This fight is only going to seal the universes fate. We must leave now."

"You are a liar and a fool if you really believe that I will be so easily deceived into this obvious attempt to free the Tyrosians. Look around you brother, these people have never had it so good. Where there was deserts there are now fertile fields. Where there was famine, there is now feasting. Where there was hunger and despair there are now hope and joy. I am the savior of these people, not their oppressor." I pause and look around the world. Terrax is right. I passed by this world long ago, it was a barren wasteland. These people had achieved the atomic age too quickly, and ended up nearly killing themselves off. A great atomic war killed off roughly ninety five percent of the population, and another three percent had radiation poisoning or some other byproduct of the war. I can find no evidence of the nuclear fires that burned long ago, hot zones that were incapable of supporting life were now forests and lakes. Terrax had indeed saved these people from extinction, has he changed as much as I have? "Terrax, you have done a great thing on this world. It is clear that these people now flourish under your direction. But what I have told you is true, the universe needs to be saved, and we need your help. I give you my word of honor, as long as you keep the best interest of these people in mind we will not try to dispose you of your rule. Now please, brother, will you help us. What greater deed can a king do than save these people once again by saving the universe entire?"

He stared at me for a bit, thinking what the best course of action would be. "Very well Pyreus Kril of Xandar, I know you to be an honorable man. I will join you in going back to World Ship. I will need a few minutes to tell my subjects of what transpires and their kings role. But know this, if this is a ruse, the consequences will be most dire." I nod and he flies back to his temple, it doesn’t take him long to return. "The peoples prayers are with us, Sky God of Fire, at least that is how you will be known here forever more. Let us be off." We start moving and I ask "Sky God of Fire? And what are you, the Sky God of Earth?" "Of course. At first I was merely Sky God, but with you showing up they realized that I must have three brothers, Fire, Water, and Wind. They are right in thinking I have three brothers, and very nearly have it right. Airwalker is Wind and Surfer is water. Even these people have learned to surf the waves of the great ocean." I think for a moment about what Terrax has said. We do, in a haphazard kind of way represent the elements, though I never thought of the Surfer as Water before, but he is dead on. Water represents life, purity and cleansing. What better way is there to describe the Surfer. I look over at Terrax and he has a smug little smirk on his face, this is going to be a long trip.

 

 

 

Chapter VI

When we get back to World Ship we see that the Surfer has already gotten there. Taa II is nearly fully restored and Surfer seems to be making preparations for the coming event. Really what else could bring the ex-heralds together other than an event. I see Airwalker is outside World Ship with the Surfer readying the ship so Terrax and I meet them there. "Ah, Terrax, it’s good to see you again", says the Surfer. "It’s always nice when we meet as allies other than opponents". "I agree Surfer, though I’ve given you nor anyone else reason to think of me as an opponent for some time." "And I truly hope it stays that way." Says Airwalker. "So what is it that we need to do?", I ask growing impatient with all the forced pleasantries.

The Surfer states "This is the location that Galactus was in when he slid over into the other dimension, so this is where we will need to concentrate our efforts. Both Gabriel and I" "Ok, stop right there" I interrupt. "For the sake of making this less confusing can we call this Gabriel Airwalker and the one inside World Ship Gabriel." "What the hell are you talking about?" asks Terrax. "ENOUGH!!" states the Surfer in his take charge voice. "I have already been in contact with Eternity and he has stated that our time is very short. He has also agreed to lend us a hand in breaking the dimensional barrier. This way our efforts can be used in a more direct manner. Now, when Galactus moved over to this dimension he didn’t have the time to see where he was going. It appears that the dimension he is in is a black hole kind of thing. Once in it is nearly impossible to escape. So not only are we going to have to try to pull Galactus out we will also have to be careful not to be pulled in as well."

With that space itself seemed to bend around us. The whole universe warps around us until we are in nothing but a white "space", all the stars and the universe itself then took form. We were then in the presence of someone very few beings will ever behold, Eternity. "Greetings children of Galactus, it is good to see you have put aside petty sibling rivalries to save both Galactus and myself. As well as the universe entire. As I consider Galactus a brother so then you four shall be my nephews. I hope you all are well." I am pretty amazed by the whole affair. I mean, I know of Eternity, and have even seen him a few times while I was still serving Galactus. He has never spoken to me, or any of us except for the Surfer before. To hear him speaking to us as if we are children isn’t what’s bothering me, it’s that he would even make the analogy at all. I guess as we children grow up we will be treated with more and more respect by our elders. "Mighty Eternity" Surfer states, "it is good of you to take the form of a man to speak with us. It is also very kind of you to speak so highly of us as to deem us worthy of being your relation." "Each of you proves yourself worthy more and more as time goes on. In time each of you may prove yourselves worthy enough to stand with the Cosmic Gods and side by side with Galactus himself. Now let us be on with our work, a long road lies ahead." With that space began it right itself and we were once more in the "real" universe.

"Stand fast" said Airwalker, "the moment approaches." Then a huge mouth opened up in the fabric of reality and we were immediately caught in the gravitational forces of the dimension that holds Galactus. We all were able to right ourselves quickly enough and began pulling with all our might. I was pulling with everything I had, and more, but wasn’t getting tired or depleting any of my Power Cosmic. It seems that Eternity was also making sure that plenty of cosmic waves were heading our way to keep us at full strength.

After about fifteen minutes of pulling, with no real headway, I notice something behind us, a star gate. The Mighty Marauders had returned, and at the worst possible time. They immediately ignored us and went straight for a weakened part of World Ship, trying to breach it’s defenses. With Gabriel using the ship and all it’s available power to help with the pulling there was no way to stop them. None of us could afford to stop what we were doing to fight them off. Just as they were about to breach the hull, a equally beautiful and terrifying sight shown before us. Lady Death, a sight I had hoped to avoid for quite a while, was here. She stood a full fifty feet high, but the most imposing aspect of her was in her eyes. The way she glared at the Marauders was enough to stop them in their tracks. Before we knew it the Marauders were gone, back through the star gate. I have a feeling we won’t be bothered by them again. Lady Death turned to us, gave a nod and was gone. There was as much conveyed in that nod as all of Eternity’s words. I then put my full attention into pulling again and doubled my efforts.

After hours seemingly on end, our efforts began to bear fruit. Galactus began to appear in the hole of torn space. It was apparent that he was trying to free himself using all his power. With an explosion that must have echoed through the four corners of the universe and a force that knocked us all back a few light years, Galactus was freed. We gathered ourselves and returned to World Ship, there waiting for us was Galactus, a look in his eyes that could only be pride. "Little did I know those four times that I chose each of you as servants, children, that you would one day save all of reality, myself included. My only regret is my daughter does not stand with you, my sons." I don’t think any of us were able to keep the shocked look from jumping on our faces. You could see in his eyes when he mentioned Nova that she was his most cherished among us, and truly missed by him.

As we stood there, not knowing what to say, space began to warp again, and once again gained the shape of Eternity. In the white space all around us were other cosmic beings, Lady Death, the Stranger, Eon, Master Chaos and Lord Order, and a Watcher. I know the Surfer has been here before, but this is the first time for the rest of us, we are actually in the Realm of Cosmic Beings. A place only the most powerful and important beings are allowed. A place only gods have access to. What were we doing here?? Mortals, at least that’s what we were, aren’t allowed in here. Even Gabriel, the one that is Taa II is here, though he appears more as a "ghost" than the rest of us.

Eternity starts to speak and the rest of the gods draw all their attention to him. "Galactus, it is good to see you again, it had far too long brother." The others nod in agreement. "Thank you, all of you, for this most gracious welcome back to this reality. I am forever grateful for the assistance in helping me to escape that dimension." They all nodded. Eternity then turned to us, I could also feel the rest of their eyes on me. "The universe entire, myself included, owes all to you five. Please accept our gratitude and know that whenever the need arises, any of the beings you see here will do all to assist you. Fare thee well Galactus, we will speak again soon. And fare thee well ex-heralds, know that you are now considered among the cosmic elite." With that the others nodded again and space began to return to normal.

 

 

Chapter VII

When we fully returned to real space we were in World Ship, standing in the control room. "Again my thanks must go out to each of you" Galactus stated, "Now I must ask of you again. You are all free to go about your business, of course, but I require a herald. The hunger is substantially less than it was before, due to absorbing the Richard’s ancestor, Hyperstorm. His connection to Hyperspace keeps me content for many months on end, but in the end I will need the energies of planets to survive. Are there any of you who would wish to stay with me?" "I, of course will stay and serve as your herald." Airwalker says. "My connection to myself/my brother here within World Ship is plain and needs no excuse. But know this Galactus, the only worlds you will consume will be unpopulated ones." "As you wish herald, you know what I require."

Galactus then turned to the rest of us. "Before you go there is something I wish to give to you, a token of my appreciation. The Power Cosmic I gave each of you was just a starting point, a first step to learn from in your growth to true cosmic beings. As you, Norrin Radd have started to find out, the Power Cosmic is all encompassing. Each of you will be able to reach heights you’ve never dared dream, if used properly. Go now my children, my friends, and resume the destinies you have started for yourselves."

We said our farewells and the Surfer, Terrax, and I left. We were not far out of the door when World Ship departs for territory unknown. We three watch it go, then turn to each other. "Alicia will surely be worried about me by now" the Surfer stated. "I must return to her with all haste. Terrax, I understand you saved the world you now rule instead of oppressing it. I sincerely hope this is a permanent change for you." "I still crave the excitement of combat Surfer, but you need not worry, I will not slay my subjects nor look for other powerless foes to quench that thirst. Terrax fights for the thrill, there is none in slaughter." "That is good enough for me." the Surfer replies.

"And what of you Pyreus, where does your destiny take you?" I think about the Surfers question for a minute. "I’m not sure exactly where I’m going to end up yet." I state. "It seems my whole life has been following others. First Gabriel into space, then Galactus, Eros, Nebula, even you Surfer. I’ve spent my life like some side kick, always needing to be around someone. I think it’s time for me to spend some quality time with myself and learn who exactly I am." The Surfer smiles and shakes my hand. "Farewell friend Pyreus. I can tell you with all certainly that your journey will be a fantastic one." "Take care Firelord" Terrax says. "If your ever near Tyros stop in." Terrax and the Surfer turn and fly off together, "So tell me why there are two Airwalkers now Surfer." I hear the Surfer sigh and begin the tale, and I smile.

I wander off to a nearby solar system and touch down on the dark side of a small moon. I think on how different my life has turned out from what I thought it would all those years ago as a child. I lay back against a rock, and stare out at the stars…


Check out Adam's The More Things Change... starring Silver Surfer, Quasar, Firelord, and Beta Ray Bill!

 

Return to Cosmic Powers Fan Fiction Group

Fan Fiction Menu:
Cosmic Powers Fan Fic Group · About Cosmic Powers · Archives of Fan Fiction · The Newest Fanzine of Cosmic Powers Unlimited · Archives of Past Issues of Cosmic Powers Unlimited · About Cosmic Powers Unlimited · Submissions Page for Cosmic Powers Unlimited
Silver Surfer Website · Message Board



Enter your e-mail address below to receive weekly updates to the website

This is a Marvel Comics Authorized Fan Site
Silver Surfer, Galactus, Captain Marvel, related characters, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc.  Copyright ©2001 Marvel Characters, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  This Marvel authorized fan site is maintained by James Pedrick who may be contacted at jamespedrick@yahoo.com.  The official homepage of Marvel Comics can be accessed at http://www.marvel.com 

This webpage was designed by James Pedrick. For more information on this website, e-mail marvelite@aol.com. This site is in no way related to or associated with Marvel Comics. Characters are property of Marvel Comics and used without permission. Contact Marvel Comics at http://www.marvel.com