Elders Quest Chapter 9

Written by Mystic, Edited by Morfex
Logo created by Lord Thanos
Published by the Cosmic Powers Fan Fiction Group in
THE COSMIC POWERS UNLIMITED FANZINE ISSUE #15

Characters are the properties of Marvel Comics
Click here for black&white text version (good for printing!)

If you have not yet read the the Prologue or first eight chapters yet, click here now!


Elder's Quest
Chapter 9:
Giuco Piano*

*Author’s note: In the chess world this means Quiet game.


"What do you mean there was nothing you could do?" Wanda was irate beyond what anyone had seen in quite some time. "How is it that you don’t even have a mark on you?"

"You are hysterical, woman. It is clear that further discussion with you will be useless until you regain your rationality." Warlock turned and walked away from her.

Wanda was aghast. But there was no way she was going to let him go that easily. She speedily walked to pass him and obstructed his path. "We are NOT done talking yet!" Wanda continued. Her hand gestures, if not her tone of voice, made no attempt to conceal her current state.

Warlock stopped. "We ARE done," he said.

Wanda found the tone of his voice condescending. For a second, she lost control. She opened her hand and brought it up to Warlock’s face.

Before she could slap him, Warlock caught her hand. He held it firm and tight staring straight at Wanda.

Captain America walked up to Wanda, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Wanda?" he said softly, almost whispering.

She turned to look at him. His eyes…they were so calming. Such self control. Immediately she regained her composure. She withdrew her hand from Warlock’s grasp. "I’m sorry," she said clearing her voice.

"Not as sorry as we’ll all be if we continue to lose," Warlock replied.

"Why didn’t you bring back the Gardener and Champion?" Captain America began his own line of questioning.

"It would seem those are not part of the rules," Warlock responded casually.

The Captain turned to Thanos.

"Is it really surprising to you?" Thanos answered. "My good Captain, the Elders are an extreme group. It is all or nothing with them."

"Hmmm?" Steve frowned. Suddenly he was not sure which side it was better to be on. There seemed to be things going on in the background. And the Captain did not like it one bit!

"We must make the next matches count if we are to win," Warlock said to Thanos.

"Agreed."

The Captain turned to Moondragon. "How are they?" he said with a genuine note of concern in his voice.

"Well, luckily, we have a large infirmary on this base they provided. I guess they figured we were going to need it." She turned to walk to the nearest table on her right side. "Simon is the worst," she said placing a damp cloth on his forehead, "but he does seem to be recovering slowly."

"We must continue," Thanos said leaning over a table.

"Maybe we shouldn’t," the Captain answered. "We are not strong enough to beat them on pure power. And that’s just how we’re fighting them. Why haven’t you joined in a fight?" The Captain lean forward on the opposite side of the table in front of Thanos. Eye to eye, they both remained motionless in front of each other for several seconds.

A test of will, perhaps, but one that Thanos saw no need for. He looked at them all. Then turned back to the Captain speaking in a tone as though what he was saying was obvious, "If I jump in, the Grandmaster does also. Does your group have anyone with the power to stop him?"

Captain America remained silent realizing Thanos’ words.

"Captain," Simon whispered.

Wanda ran to his bed. "Simon!"

Steve walked over also.

"Captain, please," he said having difficulty speaking. He was clearly in pain and his contorted face, still swollen, was making it more difficult to speak. "I don’t know if you’re…thinking of pulling out…" He paused to get his breath, "…but the Avengers…are not quitters!" Simon opened his eyes slightly and looked at Steve.

Steve’s eyes watered a little. Bravery could still move him. Simon had the soul of a true Avenger indeed. He looked around. The Avengers were waiting for a word from him. He turned to look at Wanda. She looked back at him clearly allowing him the final word.

"Let’s revisit our strategies," he said walking over to Thanos and Warlock. "I want to make sure we don’t make any more mistakes. And by my calculations, we must win the next rounds!"

"Indeed!" Thanos said pressing a button on his glove. "My ship has had to move location to maintain contact with me."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Moondragon asked.

"It means we are on Ego," Warlock answered for Thanos.

"What?" Moondragon asked still confused.

"The implication is that we are moving," the Silver Surfer explained to her. "Therefore we must be on a planet that is moving – namely Ego."

"Okay, so Ego is moving. Where are we going? And why is the sun still visible?" Vance questioned.

"Artificial Satellite," Thanos answered. "As to the destination…we’re apparently on a rendezvous course with the World Devourer."

"Galactus?" the Silver Surfer stood up. "What does he have to do with anything?"

"Whatever it is," Warlock responded, "it is sure not to bode well for us."


Continued in Elders Quest Chapter 10: Queen's Gambit Declined!  And be sure to visit the Elders Quest Archive Page if you have not yet read the Prologue or first five chapters of Elders Quest.   If you aren't sure exactly why the elders would want to punish Thanos, then be sure to read our review of Marvel's Thanos Quest mini-series at the Silver Surfer Website... Now leave us your comments and suggestions below.


Please, leave your comments on this story below:

Name:
E-mail Address:
Comments/Suggestions:

I would like information on writing for Cosmic Powers Unlimited.

I would like information on creating art for Cosmic Powers Unlimited.


Issue #15 Cover Cosmic Powers Unlimited Issue #15
Cosmic
Union #16
Powers Cosmic #5 Shards of Destiny #3 Elders Quest
Chapter 9
Quasar #2 Midnight Sun #4
What is CPU? How to Join Our Staff CPU Archives


Enter your e-mail address below to receive weekly updates to the website

This is a Marvel Comics Authorized Fan Site
Silver Surfer, Galactus, Captain Marvel, related characters, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc.  Copyright ©2001 Marvel Characters, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  This Marvel authorized fan site is maintained by James Pedrick who may be contacted at jamespedrick@yahoo.com.  The official homepage of Marvel Comics can be accessed at http://www.marvel.com